Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 3. Never Underestimate Our Inclination to Bolt

One thing that has become abundantly clear, in the short three days that I've done this, is that I have an incessant desire to escape. Like today at yoga, when there was a tall guy who kept moving his mat into my space, inch by inch. I almost barked at him, but I bit my tongue and gave him the evil eye instead, which, of course, is a lot more evolved. Pema Chodron writes "Never underestimate our inclination to bolt", for example in a meditation practice, when we will try almost anything in order not to take a seat. It's as applicable to anything else we do in our lives. 99% of our time we are trying to find ways not to be here. And 99,9% of the time, we will resist anything that we deem as negative, either by blaming someone or something, or by obsessing over it, like I did the first 80 minutes of my 1,5 hour yoga practice, or by just walking away.

What a beautiful, and humbling, practice this will be...

No comments:

Post a Comment